A casino in Enid, Okay???.If an Indian tribe, worked through all of the bureaucratic process with all the Bureau of Indian Affairs and may build a casino in downtown Enid, will you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos round the state, you most likely run into other people you know from Enid, partaking inside recreation provided by the casinos. These are the same some people that have left our town and they are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping at the stores, eating at the restaurants, and staying on the hotels within the area.
A brief history:
The ability to run bingo games was among the numerous concessions made to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person created a bingo game that appeared to be a video slot. We have all seen the little digital bingo card with the top corner with the display screen of the slot machine. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos began to spring up everywhere. After all, you had been still playing bingo, just in a very new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact between your tribes along with the State of Oklahoma allowed the usage of Vegas style slot machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and better casinos were built and therefore are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino can only be built within historic tribal boundaries and then placed in a trust while using U.S. government. Since Enid has no casino, is the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it was found, that before the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part in the Cherokee Outlet, occupied through the Cherokee people pursuing the Treaty of New Echota as well as the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the location was a hunting ground with the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us as being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive facets of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are delivered to operate tribal governments and programs due to the citizens. In addition, a portion of the revenue is split with all the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize revenues to enhance infrastructure.
3. Related places of interest are built.
4. Jobs are made.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found that over 80 percent from the visitors to casinos were interested in also doing something apart from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions including family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian people.
10. Casinos provide a magnet for outside money that would not previously exist.
11. Local resident who utilized to travel outside in the area now stays within the location.
12. More construction jobs are made building casinos.
13. Gambling is definitely an accepted opportinity for governments to improve funds. It is seen as source of money that is certainly easier to obtain because it is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the next businesses showed an boost in profits, attendance, and customers after an internet casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more frequently
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative facets of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependency.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time spent on useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour millions of dollars into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes can also be influencing gambling along with other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a large amount to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is surely an increase within the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is named an action addiction. When gambling, poker online new those hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more regularly, it results in tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so it takes more gambling and stakes, to have the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling illuminates the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an online casino were to petition to find downtown Enid, an amount be your opinion? Do you think it could enhance our community or bring social problems we may not want to deal with?